User Interface Design Manager (Req#: 53050)
Articles / Job Openings
Date: Nov 17, 2004 - 06:21 AM
|User Interface Design Manager (Req#: 53050)
Reply to: email@example.com
Req#: 53050 BU/FU: QBG Location: Mountain View, CA
Intuit Inc. is a leading provider of business and financial management solutions for small and mid-sized businesses, consumers and accounting professionals. Its flagship products and services, including QuickBooks®, Quicken® and TurboTax® software, simplify small business management and payroll processing, personal finance, and tax preparation and filing.
Intuit isn't just another place to work. It's a company made up of smart, motivated people with a passion for what they do. We take pride in our dedication to the customers who use our products and services every day. Intuit offers some of the best rewards in the industry. We don't think you'll find another employer more dedicated to its employees' success.
The QuickBooks Group UI Design team is tasked with designing the user experience for more than 2.5 million users of QuickBooks products and services.
Our group creates elegant, appealing, and extensible designs through user-centered design practices. These practices include gathering user needs, setting standards for design development, serving as user advocates on development teams, and performing usability testing for effective design iteration.
The User Interface Design Manager will be responsible for directing a team of senior interaction designers in the QuickBooks Group at Intuit. In this role the manager will provide direction to team members in the development of QuickBooks desktop products and related web-based services. The UI Manager will work closely with user research and visual design groups to ensure that high quality user experiences are integral to Intuit products. The User Interface Design Manager will also work closely with Product Management and Engineering leaders to scope activities and develop work plans to ensure that project goals are framed to meet business and customer goals. The UI Manager must be an excellent communicator and strong leader in a work environment that is fast paced and values excellent teamwork.
- Build a world-class interaction team to meet the needs of the business. Hire and manage designers (both staff and contractors)
- Mentor team members as necessary and provide direction in creating and fulfilling career paths
- Ensure a positive and collaborative work environment for the team
- Define team’s objectives, metrics, and priorities that align with business strategies
- Serve as the group’s advocate to the rest of the organization and evangelize the value of user-centered design and its best practices
- Identify opportunities for improvements and propose innovative changes to UI design processes. Help organization weave user centered best practices into the product development process
- React to and resolve product, divisional, and strategic trade-offs influencing design strategy and direction
- Consider issues outside of functional area to ensure success of product/project, group, and division
- Co-author and maintain QuickBooks’ repository of UI guidelines
- Use strong presentation skills to influence internal and external teams
- Represent Intuit in the broader design community through conference talks, papers, networking, etc.
- Create a scalable and flexible framework for project management, scheduling, and resource allocation
- Prioritize the focus of the designers work to align with corporate goals and business objectives (critical few; high-return projects)
- Oversee multiple projects simultaneously
- Review plans and designs to ensure quality, and that user-centered design principles and guidelines are being applied
- Manage all run-the-business aspects of the design group including budgets, forecasts, personnel (both staff and consultants)
- Communicate effectively with all levels of management and across multidisciplinary teams
- At least 3 years experience managing a user interface design group with junior to principal level designers. Proven leadership in the user experience industry within recent years
- Strong leadership and management skills. Successful experience in building teams, goal setting, coaching, & developing individuals to achieve targeted results
- At least 7 years of professional design experience with proven design skills and familiarity with user research methodologies
- Masters or Ph.D. in Human-Computer Interaction, Human Factors, Cognitive Science, or related field
- Must be able to demonstrate knowledge of interaction design process and metrics with the ability to innovate on tools and processes
- Experience in the development processes for desktop consumer software
- Experience in project management. Must be organized and able to switch rapidly between different projects in a fast-paced and exciting environment.
- Ability to work collaboratively with cross-functional teams
- Must communicate clearly and effectively and possess strong presentation skills
- Excellent influencing skills
- Strong presence in the external design community a plus
Please submit work samples or include a link to an online portfolio when applying
Targets: Adobe, Apple Computer, Macromedia, Electronic Arts, Autodesk, Interleaf, Yahoo!, eBay, Lotus Development, Microsoft, PeopleSoft, Oracle, Siebel, IBM
This article comes from CHIplace
The URL for this story is: